Article content material
Edmonton Oilers camp simply bought a complete lot extra manageable.
The NHL squad introduced its first main spherical of cuts with the project of 15 gamers to Bakersfield Condors, who will start their very own camp with that core group of 9 forwards, 5 defencemen and 1 goalie. 37 gamers — 20 F, 12 D, and 5 G together with the injured Ryan Fanti — stay on the Oilers roster for now, although we will count on extra culls within the close to future, actually after if not in between the upcoming back-to-back in Calgary and Vancouver on Friday and Saturday.
Article content material
Thursday’s cuts could be cut up into two teams. The bigger subset is of 9 gamers on minor league contracts, specifically:
- G Tyler Parks
- D Xavier Bernard
- D Noah Ganske
- D Connor Corcoran
- D Jake Johnson
- F Ethan De Jong
- F Dino Kambeitz
- F Ture Linden
- F Cam Wright
No surprises right here. Given their contract standing, all of those gamers have been at all times ticketed for Bakersfield or the Oilers ECHL affiliate in Fort Wayne. A number of of those gamers noticed motion in rookie camp, however none performed in any of the three NHL preseason video games up to now.
Of the opposite six, all have Entry Degree Contracts and are a part of the Oilers’ 50-man record, presently 43 gamers deep with three PTOs pending. 5 of those six, together with a quartet of 20-year-olds, are about to enter their first 12 months of professional so once more, no surprises, with one gentle disappointment to fill out the group. 5 of them performed a single preseason recreation, the day journey to Winnipeg in every case.
- D Maximus Wanner performed in a single preseason recreation for the second straight 12 months, getting that lone alternative in Winnipeg the place an Oilers squad mild on expertise bought blanked 5-0 by a way more NHL-proven group of Jets. The large right-shot d-man performed virtually 17 minutes in all conditions, primarily with accomplice Noel Hoefenmayer who will himself absolutely be ticketed for Bakersfield within the days to come back. The Oilers have been on the again foot for a lot of that point, mustering simply 2 photographs whereas getting outscored 1-0. Wanner landed a pair hits, blocked a shot, and drew two penalties. Rated the Oilers’ #4 prospect within the Cult of Hockey‘s summer season prospect rankings, the previous seventh spherical draft choose haas regarded each bit the promising however uncooked participant that may be anticipated at this level.
- C Carl Berglund additionally suited up at Winnipeg, the place he had a tricky night time. The 23-year-old centre was signed as a free agent out of UMass-Lowell final spring, subsequently suiting up for six video games in Bakersfield. Edmonton’s #21 prospect was tabbed as a very good positional and defensive participant, however that wasn’t a lot on show within the ‘peg. Significantly noticeable in a foul method was an prolonged sequence of ache within the d-zone the place the pivot twice deserted the low slot to affix his wingers chasing the puck on the perimeter, paying the worth when his man scored the 4-0 purpose with an uncontested shot from the slot. This was the low level of an evening the place he was on the ice for simply 1 scoring probability for, 13 towards, together with 0-7 in excessive hazard photographs and 0-2 in objectives in 12 minutes of 5v5 play. Whether or not he makes the Condors or will get despatched to Fort Wayne is an open query.
- RW Jake Chiasson is the one one in all this group who didn’t get a preseason recreation, after getting one such alternative (at Winnipeg, go determine) a 12 months in the past. Edmonton’s #15 prospect has some good attributes however will want loads of time at decrease ranges to develop his recreation. Together with his three-year ELC simply getting began, time is one factor he has on his facet. Not not possible given the surfeit of younger wingers in Bakersfield that the group takes the additional determination to ship him again to junior for an over-age season; he additionally might wind up in Fort Wayne within the brief time period. Both would guarantee loads of ice time, which may be briefly provide in Bako.
- C Jayden Grubbe additionally acquired a baptism by fireplace in Winnipeg, wherein he performed 13 minutes together with a daily shift on the penalty kill. At even energy his line sawed off however generated little or no offensively and took a penalty. For his half Grubbe struggled to maintain up at instances, and it was clear to this observer and others that the Oilers’ #8 prospect might want to work laborious on his skating to make actual progress within the skilled recreation.
- LW Matvey Petrov equally bought a single probability to point out his wares in an NHL preseason recreation, taking part in 11 minutes with 1 shot, 1 giveaway, and treasured little influence. Edmonton’s #3 prospect had a couple of flashes in rookie camp, however for now he’s in the identical boat as Wanner, Chiasson and others — a late spherical choose making the transition to the professional recreation. He’s bought some advantageous offensive presents however he too will want time to hone his all-around recreation on the minor league stage. No alarms and no surprises.
- RW Ty Tullio is the lone participant from this sextet who has a full season of professional hockey below his belt, and thus is the largest disappointment to be included on this spherical of cuts. Tullio had a promising rookie 12 months in Bakersfield and a robust displaying at summer season growth camp, rising to the #5 prospect in our summer season rankings, however had a so-so displaying in Penticton. He performed an honest recreation in Winnipeg with a few photographs on internet in 10 minutes of motion however took a foul penalty within the third interval simply as issues have been coming aside on the seams for the Oilers. One other 12 months in Bakersfield was at all times within the playing cards for the aggressive younger ahead, it’s simply beginning a couple of days sooner than may need been anticipated.
Lately on the Cult of Hockey
STAPLES: Niemelainen stands tall amongst bubble gamers in win over Canucks
STAPLES: Will Oilers roll with the zone this 12 months?
LEAVINS: Oil outgunned within the Peg
McCURDY: Oilers get goalie’d by the Jets in pre-season opener
LEAVINS: Oilers present concrete indicators of studying from previous errors — 9 Issues
McCURDY: Oilers lastly have a legit Prime 4 — defence preview
Share this text in your social community